Is Your Emergency Preparedness Kit Ready?
- Jun 18, 2014
Are you prepared for a disaster?What exactly is an emergency preparedness kit? It's a package of basic tools and supplies prepared in advance of an emergency situation. Note the use of the phrase “prepared in advance”, this is the big thing. During an emergency not everyone’s mind is clear enough to be able to think of exactly what’s needed or you just may not be permitted with enough time to do so. With an preparedness kit, everything you need is prepackaged and all you have to do is grab it and go! It’s genius, right?
What do you need to get started?Simple! You can choose between packing a kit customized to your needs, or you may purchase a kit to have on hand. Either is fine, better safe than sorry!You can add items to your kit for your personalized needs. Remember one kit will not fit everyone’s survival requirements; you’ll need to customize it for you and your family.
Packing a kit; what do you need?Start your kit by purchasing a backpack, rolling suitcase, or a plastic container large enough to fit all of your supplies. NOTE: Keep in mind that any emergency supplies in the kit should be able to be used without electricity, sewage, etc. (these luxuries may not be in service after a natural disaster).
The bare minimum required for an emergency preparedness kit:
- Medication: There should be a 7 day supply of prescribed medicine in the kit. Along with over the counter medications such as Tylenol and Benadryl.
- Water: General rule of thumb for water is having AT LEAST one gallon of water per person per day.
- Food: Nonperishable’s
- Manual Can opener
- Extra keys to your home and car
- First Aid Kit
- Multipurpose tool
- Copies of important documents
- ICE (in case of emergency) contact information
- Cell phone & charger that doesn’t require energy
- Extra Cash
May 15, 2022
Apr 15, 2022
Mar 15, 2022