Safe Heating Methods For This Winter
- Dec 15, 2015
- Complete DKI
With Winter quickly
approaching us, all that is on our minds is hot chocolate, warm blankets, layers of clothing, cranking the heat up, and for a few of us a miserable couple of months ahead.
While some of us may be more than ready for Winter, others are indeed, not!
We all like to make sure we are warm
in our homes, especially during these cold
months. There are many safe heating methods
that Complete DKI
would love to share with you, as well as those not so smart
methods that could do a lot of damage
to you and/or your home. Here are some tips
for you and your family this Winter!
- Never burn charcoal inside your home as a fuel alternative. This is extremely dangerous. If charcoal is being burnt in an enclosed space, it gives off deadly amounts of carbon monoxide fumes that could kill you.
- Do not burn excessive amounts of paper to build a vast fire in the fire place. This can cause a house fire by igniting the soot and creosote in the chimney. Also, never remove the fireplace screen to allow more heat in the house. It is there to keep sparks from flying out of the fire place and starting a fire.
- Electric furnaces, baseboard heaters, and other heating methods that use electricity, are the most efficient and safe heating methods out there. Although these methods are a bit pricey, if they are an option for you, the safety features on these heaters make it worth it for your family's safety.
- Natural gas heating is very cost effective and actually a very popular way to heat your home. Natural gas is very clean and healthy for the environment we live in. No matter what time of the year it is or what the weather is like outside, natural gas is always safe and reliable. Once you start using it,is has an immediate impact on the environment.
- Do not use your kitchen stove as a heating source. This is a huge fire hazard and can cause serious damage. People have been known to leave all the burners on at the same time or even set the oven temperature at the highest it can go to heat their home. If you have a gas oven and you do this, carbon monoxide gas can build up and poison you and your family.
Of course when we are cold and uncomfortable
we will try any method
to make our homes warm. Just keep in mind the tips
that we shared today and know that there are very safe ways
as well as completely dangerous ways
to produce heat. It is very important to educate
yourself as well as your family when it comes to fire hazards
. Your Aunt Liz from Florida could be visiting you in Colorado and of course she is not used to any
temperatures below fifty degrees.
It's currently negative ten degrees
in Colorado and all she is worried about is finding some kind of warmth
. Everyone is asleep so she turns on the burners on the stove
and then falls back asleep. Next thing you know, the entire family is woken up by flames
surrounding the house and you have to follow your emergency escape plan
to get out! Of course no one ever wants to go through this experience so please keep these safe heating methods in mind this season!If you do experience fire damage in your home, call Complete DKI 24/7. Our technicians work around the clock and are always dressed in uniform, will arrive in clearly marked Complete DKI vans and are ready for any emergency! Please contact our full service location on Davis Highway by calling 850-CALL-DKI or 850-225-5354 Complete DKI wishes you all a safe and disaster free winter season!