Space Heater Safety, How to Avoid a Fire
- Nov 26, 2014
Space Heater Safety And How to Avoid a FireFire damage in Pensacola can happen at any time. Too often Gulf Coast homeowners become victim to a fire. It only takes one mistake and one split second to cause fire damage in your Pensacola home. Space heaters and home heating equipment are the number four most common reasons for a house fire.
With that said, do you know how to safely use a space heater?
Complete specializes in fire damage remediation and has some tips on how you can safely use a space heater in your home.
Here are some helpful tips on how to prevent a fire due to a space heater.
- Always, always, ALWAYS select a space heater that has a guard or something surrounding the open flame or heating element. This prevents anything from getting to close to the element and heating up and/or catching fire.
- Never purchase a heater that has not been certified by a nationally recognized laboratory. This helps to ensure you are purchasing the safest heater possible.
- Make sure the heater is the correct size for the type of room you are trying to heat. If your heating a small area, there is no need for some massive heater that will heat the room in 2 minutes. Slow and steady wins the race.
- Make sure to leave the door open to the room you’re trying to heat with the space heater. You need to have proper air flow through a room with a heater running.
- NEVER leave a space heater running if you are going to be leaving the room, leaving the house, and definitely not while you are sleeping.